Friday, September 12, 2008

Trusting the Father's Abilities

Daniel 3:17

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego faced this issue with their lives. Beginning in V13, we see that the three Hebrew boys were told exactly what their fate would be - the furnace. They were not deterred from obedience. They knew that God was able to deliver them. They were willing to put that trust to the test.

That's when faith arrives.

However, they might have expected Him to deliver them before they got to the furnace door. They said in V18 that even if He didn't deliver them, they would not worship idols. This tells me that they expected to be thrown into the furnace if God didn't deliver them before then.

Though it could be interpreted that they doubted, they were DETERMINED to be obedient.

IN PLAIN ENGLISH
Obedience and trust is just as much a CHOICE as love is. That trust in abilities comes from a developed relationship. The commitment to trust over-rides the mental fear that comes and creates doubt. Some may see this as just plain stubbornness.

AS FOR ME
When was the last time I was called stubborn? I can tell you that it certainly wasn't meant in a positive context. However, I see that I have to put that characteristic to work on the positive force in my walk with Christ. Stubbornness could be counted as commitment. But I still need to feel that regardless of the circumstances I'm facing, God is ABLE to help me. I need to look at his power to understand his ability.

No comments: