Thursday, October 23, 2008

Catching My Breath

Romans 8:26-28 (The Message)

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. "

IN PLAIN ENGLISH

Sometimes, in the really hard times of life, I simply don't know how or what to pray. Sometimes, if I'm honest with myself, I don't even know if it's worth the effort. Sometimes, if I'm REALLY honest with myself, my flesh seems too overpowering. It is in those times that I find comfort in knowing - and I mean totally wrapping myself in the knowledge - that the Holy Spirit is there with me to take over. He knows what to pray to get me back on my feet and running again. Amazingly, sometimes I need to get quiet and just allow Him to pray over me and reconnect my spirit with Him. He will keep me in that right place - that perfect connection with the Father - as I allow him the freedom to do so.

AS FOR ME

How much God must love me to make a support system to keep me going. In college, there was a class I took that dealt with providing a learning environment for my classroom. The term the professor used was scaffolding. I picture it this way in my head. From a construction standpoint, a scaffold is something that is used to support and lift so that the worker can continue to move up on the project. With each level, a new piece is added to the scaffold so that the worker feels safe and confident that he won't fall (or fail in the "learning" environment). The Holy Spirit works the same way. As I progress in my Christian walk, I'm building a scaffold under me that is created by my faith and victories. When I get tired, the scaffold continues to support me and keep me in place - through the intercessions of the Holy Spirit - until I catch my breath and continue on.

No comments: