Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm Hungry

Psalm 119:31-40 (The Message)

Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation. I choose the true road to Somewhere, I post your road signs at every curve and corner. I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me; God, don't let me down! I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how. God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. Give me insight so I can do what you tell me—my whole life one long, obedient response. Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway! Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot. Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way. Affirm your promises to me— promises made to all who fear you. Deflect the harsh words of my critics— but what you say is always so good. See how hungry I am for your counsel; preserve my life through your righteous ways!

IN PLAIN ENGLISH

After realizing how far I've come, how much progress I've made, and how wonderfully free I am, I want nothing more than to make sure I don't slip back into the ditch. God doesn't want me there either! Everything David asks for here is within God's will for not only his life, but for mine (and yours) as well. Earlier I found that obedience is just as much a decision in life as loving Tracye is. There may be times when I may not FEEL like loving her, but I CHOOSE to do it every minute of every day...because she deserves it...and so do I! Obedience and walking down the path that keeps me under His protection are choices that are easier to make with each day I live.

However, it's important not to forget that there are still things out there that want to trip me up. Only through consistent study of the Word and fellowshipping with Him can I ensure that not only my heart is established, but my mind begins to be renewed as well.



AS FOR ME

Ah, the secret...making the heart (spirit) and mind unified. There lies the hunger. As I walk daily in the wisdom He has given me; as I continue to walk in obedience; as I consistently follow His commandments, my spirit becomes HUNGRY for Him. My doctor told me once when we were discussing my weight loss that hunger is a GOOD thing. When your body tells you it's hungry, it's telling you that you have expended the energy it has stored and it is time to replace it. Right now, spiritually I'm ravenous! My spirit is telling me that I am needing more nourishment than just milk. I'm moving on to the meat of the Word, PRAISE GOD!

I really like this version of Psalm 119 where it talks about "divert my eyes from toys and trinkets" because the majority of my money issues falls with impulse spending. The last six weeks have been excruciatingly painful at times because my habitual flesh feels deprived that I can't (and won't) go out and indulge itself. But at the same time, there's a liberating feeling that goes along with controlling my flesh. All the time I've spent dodging creditors and "creating" money to pay bills with or do something I wanted to do, I did thinking I was in control. Now I realize that I wasn't in control. The money and the flesh were in control. For the first time, I know what true control means.

And it's not without rewards. Freedom from those bondages allows me to be free to worship and obey in ways that I've never experienced before. And I'm so hungry for more!!

No comments: